Main areas of research
The Anaesthesia research team has a broad range of experience. Their research focus is in the per-operative environment, working with theatre and PACU. They are keen to work with different research departments within Waikato Hospital and to build collaborative partnerships on projects.
Current research areas of interest:
- ESB Pilot Trial: Erector Spinae Blockade feasibility Study
- PECs II Trial: PEC’s II blockade study on Patient Quality of Recovery following breast surgery
- ITACs Trial: IV Iron for treatment of anaemia before cardiac surgery
- LAAOS III Trial: occlusion versus non-occlusion of LAA and stroke
- Balanced Anaesthesia Study: Depth of anaesthesia on patient outcome after major surgery
- Alpha-Max Trial: Modulation of EEG to reduce delirium in PACU
- Conscious II Trial: EEG and IFT testing of responsiveness during anaesthesia
The department also collects audit data for a variety of projects.
Professor Jamie Sleigh
Dr Kelly Byrne
Dr Amy Gaskell